Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
English 101 - College Reading and Composition I
English 101 is a reading and composition course designed to prepare students to handle a wide range of college writing assignments and to acquire the analytic skills necessary for effective academic preparation. Stress is placed on the organization and composition of objective expository and argumentative essays, including the research paper.
History/Background: Discuss Well-Defined Problem you are addressing
• Mission Statement: Well-Argued Solution Proposal
• Implemented Plan or Strategy: Provide evidence of how/why your solution is effective
• Projected Results: Projected impact and benefits of solution (address counter-arguments)
Click Databases tab and select LAHC Library Databases
Recommended Subject Databases Collections:
Interdisciplinary current events. Generate a research idea, pro/con views, timeline, images, statistical data, etc...
Opposing Viewpoints In Context
Current social issues with viewpoints, topic overviews, statistics, images, videos, audio files, and links to vetted websites.
Global Issues in Context
Social, political, military, economic, environmental, health, cultural issues, local experts, and statistical information. Multimedia - including podcasts, video, and interactive graphs.
Health Source - Nursing/Academic Edition
Medical disciplines, AHFS Consumer Medication Information, and generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
Los Angeles Times
1985 - yesterday.
EBSCO and other databases search tips
Use asterisk as truncation, group similar terms in parentheses, connect your terms with the appropriate term:
mental* AND ill* AND (prison* OR inmates OR jail*)
Google tips: mentally ill (inmates OR prisoners) (data or statistics) los angeles county site:gov
For policy analysis articles: your search terms AND ("program evaluation*" OR "program assessment*" OR "evidence-based practice*")
Length: 4-6 pages
Citation Format: MLA
- Parable of the Sower
- 3-4 sources
- At least 2 must be from the library sources (Book, article from Academic/Scholarly journal, Newspaper, or Magazine)
Use the Books & Media tab to search for books in the library catalog.
Use the eBooks tab to search for ebooks.
Use the Find Books tab and use the library catalog search box.
Connect to the catalog by viewing the books below:
- Click on the blue link or image to open the item record in the library catalog. Take note of the school location, call number, and status.
- To find similar books, click on Catalog Record and look at the Subject Terms to see how the item was cataloged.
- Click on the Subject Term to navigate to items cataloged with that term and view results.
To begin a new search after viewing a book, click Search/Home on the top left bar.
*Many of the print books found in the library are also available as eBooks.
This screenshot shows how to search by series name in the catalog's Power Search feature.
Series: At Issue and Series: Opposing Viewpoints